Betal leaves grow differently in North India and in the South. North Indian betel leaves are of dark bottle green colour and very big. The South Indian counterpart is lighter in colour and comparatively small in size. Betal leaves have a lot of medicinal value.
Here are some of them:
- It is a high-quality carminative. You just have to place one in your mouth and chew for it to give effect.
- Boil 2-3 leaves in water and drink the water for good digestion.
- Many infants can find it difficult to pass the motion. At that time, just break the little stalk on the betel leaves, wash them and dry with a clean cloth. Then dip one in a little castor oil to use it as a suppository.
- Sometimes small children develop a stomachache. Heat tava and smear castor oil on it. Switch off the gas and place betel leaves on the tava. If the temperature is just right, use the leaves to give fomentation on the belly of the child.
- Clean a betel leaf and apply a little lime on it. Break betel nut into small pieces. Take 2-3 of the pieces and chew with the betel leaf. We not only get calcium from this combination but also it is good for digestion. It even removes odour in the mouth. The process of chewing strengthens the teeth.
To be continued…