Now, I am sharing about Triyodashi evening’s Pradosha Pooja. People, living near Lord Shiva’s temple and those who have the facility to visit temples for the pooja, can perform it there. People, performing this pooja at home, should fast from the morning. They should take a purifying bath in the evening before performing the pooja.
First, wash the Shiva Lingam and place it on a plate. Shiva Lingam with a snake on it is more auspicious because it results in the resolution of Rahu, Ketu, Naga and Kalasarpa Doshas. Also, light a ghee and/or oil lamp near it. Performing abhishekam first is important. First, abhishekam of pure water should be done. Then, abhishekam with milk should be done. Again, abhishekam with water is to be performed. People, performing a short pooja, leave it at this.
Abhishekams: However, people, praying for special boons and to resolve sins from previous births, should perform special abhishekams. Out of these all or one can be done. They are as follows:
- 1. Panchamrita Abhishekam: Milk, curd, honey, ghee and rock candy.
- 2. Maha Panchamrita Abhishekam: Milk, curd, honey, jaggery, bananas, wet dates, rock candy, dry grapes and cashew nuts are used for this abhishekam. If they want, people can use all types of fruits as well in this abhishekam.
- Sugarcane Juice Abhishekam.
- Tender Coconut Water Abhishekam.
- Sandalwood Powder in Water Abhishekam: The water should be pure. If Ganga’s water is used, it would be the best.
- Rose Water Abhishekam.
- Turmeric Powder in Water Abhishekam: The water should be pure. If Ganga’s water is used, it would be the best. This is important for snakes. Thus, if used for the abhishekam of Lingam with the snake, then it is auspicious.
- Tailabhishekam: Oil is used for the abhishekam. Different oils are used to get different benefits.
- Bhasmabhishekam: This abhishekam is done with pure ashes. Either panchopachara or shodashopachara is performed chanting Panchakshari Mantra of Lord Shiva, after the abhishekam.
- Pushpabhishekam: Some people perform abhishekam with flowers and bael leaves, with the chanting of Shiva Ashtottra, Shiva Ashtottranamavali, Rudra Chamaka and others. Either panchopachara or shodashopachara is performed chanting Panchakshari Mantra of Lord Shiva and when the time for pushpam samarpayami comes, the flowers are used for abhishekam. This is so auspicious that even unattainable boons can be attained.
Naivedyam: All types of fruits can be offered to Lord Shiva as naivedyam. Payasam is very auspicious. Poha with jaggery can also be offered. People can offer any other satvic products as naivedyam.
After naivedyam, Maha Mangalarati should be performed for Lord Shiva. Post that, Shiva Panchakshari and Maha Mrutyunjaya Stotra can be chanted as many times as we want. The night can also be spent in the chanting of these mantras.