Bhramari Pranayama or Humming Bee Breath is a calming breath practice that majorly soothes anxiety. It works towards calming the nerves, as well. This technique helps in the purification and enhancing of the function of the lymph nodes that are created by the vibration of the ‘hmmm’ sound, which in turn increases the blood circulation. Inputs: Sarvesh Shashi – Founder and CEO – Zorba Yoga.
Bhramari Pranayama – Method:
- Sit straight in Padmasana or Sukhasana and press your ear points with your thumbs of the respective hands.
- Place your index fingers on the forehead and with the remaining fingers close your eyes.
- Start inhaling through both the nostrils, deeply and slowly.
- Keep your mouth closed and exhale while making a humming sound of “hmmmm” like the buzzing of a bee. While you’re humming say ‘Om’ in a soft manner.
- Feel the impurities being released from your body and experience positive energy circulation in the body.
- Practice this 11 to 21 times daily. But do not over exert. Take a break if you feel tired.
- This can be practiced any time but if you feel stressed or fatigued this will help you.
Bhramari Pranayama or the Humming Bee Breathing technique is useful for sinus problems. It is believed that the humming sound is soothing and calming for the body. It also relaxes the mind and helps reduce blood pressure.