There has been a lot of hype about fast foods being unhealthy and A Journalist Reveals wondered if they can be made health-friendly. That is where Dietician Sheela Seharawat came in. She was so kind as to share with us this recipe of Maharashtrian Vada Pao with Peanut Garlic Chutney.
Maharashtrian Vada Pao with Peanut Garlic Chutney
By Sheela Seharawat
Vada Pao- needs no introduction. The iconic Maharashtrian delicacy is also widely known as the ‘poor man’s dish’. While you are commuting in Mumbai, whether you find anything else or not, you will for sure find a street stall of Vada Pao literally everywhere.
Potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed 5 to 6 medium sized
Garlic paste 2 tsp
Ginger paste 1 tsp
Green chillis 2 to 3
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Black mustard seeds ½ tsp
Curry leaves 5 to 7
Salt to taste
Bengal gram flour/besan 2 table spoons
Vegetable/canola/sunflower cooking oil for deep frying
Pao buns (square buns that look like a burger but are smaller 6 to 8
Tamarind Chutney, readymade 1 cup
Mint-Coriander Chutney 1 cup
Mungfali Lehsun Chutney (peanut garlic chutney) ½ cup
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the Bengal gram flour/besan with enough water and salt to taste, to make a thick, smooth paste.
- Always add the water a little at a time so that you do not get a runny batter. Stop when the batter is the consistency of a thick soup.
- When ready, keep aside for later use.
- Mix the ginger and garlic pastes and add the green chillis to them. Grind into a smooth paste in the food processor.
- Mix this paste with the mashed potatoes. Season with salt.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan on a medium flame and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, and turmeric powder. Fry till the seeds stop spluttering.
- Add this to the potato and mix well.
- Divide the potato mix into portions slighter smaller than a tennis ball. Smoothen by rolling between slightly greased palms.
- Heat the oil for deep frying on a medium flame.
- When the oil is hot, dip one potato ball at a time into the gram flour batter to coat well and then deep fry till golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Take one pao bun, slit in half (not completely – leave one edge joined) and put a spoonful each of Tamarind Chutney, Mint-Coriander Chutney and Mungfali Lehsun Chutney (peanut garlic chutney) each on it.
- Place a potato ball on the bun and fold over, pressing down gently.
- Serve while the potato ball is still hot.