There has been a lot of hype about fast foods being unhealthy and wondered if there are health-friendly alternatives in the genre. That is where Dietician Sheela Seharawat came in. She was so kind as to share with us this recipe of Mini Tofu Street Burger.
Mini Tofu Street Burger
By Sheela Seharawat
We have a false notion that burgers cannot be healthy and that too the desi street burgers. In this unique street burger, the patty is made with tofu, chickpeas and roasted nuts and not to forget, whatever seasonal vegetables are available. And the catch – slathered with tamarind mint relish.
Firm tofu, crumbled 500 gms
Roasted nut crumbs (Almond or Peanuts) 200 gms
Chickpeas (cooked) 150 gms
Soya sauce 2 tsp
Cooking oil 4 tsp
Garlic cloves, finely chopped 2
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Onions medium, chopped 2
Carrots, medium-sized, chopped 2
Celery, chopped ½ stalk
Tamarind paste 1/3 cup
Mint paste 1 cup
Salt to taste
Pepper, crushed to taste
For the garlicky tamarind mint relish
- Sauté the chopped garlic and cumin in cooking oil.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and sauté for another few minutes.
- Grate the nutmeg over the vegetable mixture.
- In a bowl, add tofu, chickpeas, soy sauce, roasted nuts, 1 tablespoon of tamarind paste, salt, pepper, bread crumbs and mix well by hand.
- To the tofu mix, add the sautéed vegetables and start folding.
- Mold the mixture into small burger size patties and fry in the pan with some oil for two to three minutes or till it turns golden brown on both sides.
- Slit into half and toast the buns. Use mini buns.
For the garlic tamarind mint relish
- Put the mint paste and tamarind paste into a bowl and add chopped garlic, lemon juice and water. Add 1/2 tsp of salt and mix well until smooth.
Slather the tamarind mint relish paste on buns. Add lettuce leaves, sandwich the patty in between. Serve with fries or desi style chips.