It is said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. American actor and model Nadine Velazquez once said, “I am inspired by anything beautiful. Sometime it’s a pair of eyes or flowing gorgeous hair, other times it’s the sky or a sunset. I’ve been inspired by supple skin or the texture of a soft shirt.”
Our skin is the body’s largest organ and also what keeps our body safe from the outside elements. Our skin is constantly being exposed to sun, wind and dust which all affect its texture. In today’s times, it has become a done-thing for a girl to keep her skin texture beautiful.
Shreya Saran from the Burst of Happyness (sic) and Natasha Nischol and Virginia Holmes of Fat Mu gave us some dos and don’ts for keeping your skin texture beautiful.
• Make-up wise, using a primer can temporarily improve skin texture to a great extent. It will fill up pores and fine lines making the texture smoother and softer.
• Dry brush your whole body to exfoliate and cleanse the lymphatic system. You can exfoliate regularly with a scrub or a loofah, to remove dead skin cells and so the new layer of skin shines through.
• Clean your skin using the oil cleansing method – Massage your face with a blend of olive and castor. Wipe off with a warm wet towel.
• Exercise helps to keep the skin glowing.
• Keep hydrated – Drink water, green tea, fresh fruit juice.
• Your diet is also very important, keep a healthy balanced diet and drink at least 6-8 glasses a day to flush out the toxins.
• Foods for beautiful skin: Vitmain C rich foods like strawberries, papaya, red bell pepper and broccoli are good for avoiding wrinkles and age-related dryness and also prevent skin damage. Caffaine in coffee and tea help prevent skin cancer. Carotinoids like lycopene in tomatoes, pink grapefruit, lutein in corn and spinach, carotenoid lutein in eggs, carotenoids beta carotene and lycopene in carrots, beta carotene in pumpkins and orange prevent damage due to UV radiation. Tofu and soya milk help preserving skin-firming collagen. The omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA in salmon, tuna and sardines prevent damage by UV rays and help preserve collagen as well.
• Use a safe sun screen. Sunscreen is one of the most important things to keep skin texture good, apply it every few hours for protection at all times. Similarly keeping skin well moisturised is important to help retain its bounce and softness.
1. Don’t use too many products. Keep your skin care to the bare minimum. Instead focus on keeping your skin healthy from the inside.
2. Avoid using products which contain harsh ingredients like alcohol, benzoyl peroxide, parabens.
3. Do not consume processed foods like soft drinks, sugar etc.
4. Avoid smoking because it damages the elastin of the skin and will help our skin look vibrant.
5. Don’t pick on any breakouts as they will inflame the skin and increases the chances of scarring.