Today, we will talk about Sheetali Pranayama. The meaning of the word Sheetali in Sanskrit is calm and soothing. Sheetali Pranayama is also known as the cooling breath. Inputs: Sarvesh Shashi – Founder and CEO – Zorba Yoga.
Sheetali Pranayama – Method:
- Sit at ease in any yogic meditative pose like Padmasana and keep your hands on your knees.
- Stick your tongue out and turn its edges up to form a tube.
- Inhale long and deep through the tongue-tube.
- After inhaling, close your mouth and exhale with both nostrils.
- Repeat this about 8 to 10 times.
Sheetali Pranayama can be practiced daily and can calm the mind and the body. Sheetali Pranayama is useful in healing the diseases related to the tongue, mouth and throat.
It also helps with indigestion and is useful even during fever, besides helping to purify the blood.